Pages

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Glazed Apple Cream Pie

I was in the mood to bake a pie the other nite. I asked him what kind of pie he liked best and he said he liked them all. I researched and found a Glazed Apple Cream Pie on Allrecipes. one I wanted to make. When we went to the store I headed to the apples. He then asked me why I was getting apples and that he didn't like them! Well, he missed out. I ate half the pie cuz it was so frickin good! I gave the rest of the pie away after I realized ate I had eaten so much. :(

Glazed Apple Cream Pie
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tart apples - peeled, cored and sliced
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 (15 ounce) package pastry for double-crust pie
  • 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 1 tablespoon milk
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon butter, softened

Directions

  1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup cream, and 1/4 cup butter. Heat until butter is melted, stirring occasionally. In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch, 2 tablespoons milk, and vanilla; stir into saucepan. Cook until thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and set aside to cool slightly.
  2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). In a medium bowl, combine the apples, flour, and cinnamon. Mix well.
  3. Line a 9 inch pie pan with pie dough. Pour thickened filling mixture into pastry-lined pie pan. Arrange apple mixture evenly over filling. Top with second crust, seal and flute the edges. Cut slits in top crust.
  4. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and apples are tender. Cool for at least 30 minutes.
  5. In small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, 1 tablespoon milk, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla, and 1 tablespoon softened butter. Blend until smooth; pour evenly over warm pie.
The recipe said to refrigerate for at least 1 1/2 hours before serving (longer is better). I didn't. I even reheated it for about 30 seconds in the microwave.

0 comments: