Pages

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Blueberry Crumb Pie

My 15 year old son LOVES blueberry pie, go figure. I am not a baker but decided to give it a try. My mother-in-law- gave me some blueberries over the holidays and they were taking up freezer space so I scoured the net for a recipe using things I had on hand. I found several great looking recipes but they called for a crust top and I only had a bottom. I found this recipe from Allrecipes and it sounded good to me. I did NOT follow the advice of others and add 2 tablespoons of cornstarch so my pie was a bit soupy (I added it to the recipe below). I will make this again and add it next time as it was super yummy and my son hugged me for it. :)



Blueberry Crumb Pie:

Filling:
  • 1 (9 inch) deep dish unbaked pie crust
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 tbsp corn starch
  • 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 5 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
Crumb Topping:
  • 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 6 tablespoons butter

Instructions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  2. In a large bowl, stir together the sugar, corn starch, and flour. Mix in the lemon zest and lemon juice. Gently stir in the blueberries. Pour into the pie crust.
  3. In a medium bowl, stir together the brown sugar, oats, flour and cinnamon. Mix in butter using a fork until crumbly. Spread the crumb topping evenly over the pie filling.
  4. Bake for 40 minutes in the preheated oven, or until browned on top. Cool over a wire rack.

1 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

This looks amazing and those blueberries look so plump and juicy!