Pages

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Cabbage Rolls

I had a pound of gound beef and was in the mood to do something different with it. After looking at a few recipes for cabbage rolls I came up with my own version. It was very good. My skeptical husband even liked it.


Cabbage Rolls:

1/3 cup cooked white rice
8 cabbage leaves
1 pound lean ground beef
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 can diced tomato w/basil and oregano
1/2 cup sauerkraut
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp worcheshire sauce
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning


In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, chopped onion, rice, soy sauce, worcheshire sauce, garlic, Italian seasoning, 2 spoon fulls of diced tomato, egg, and salt and pepper.

Bring a large pot of water a boil. Separate 8 large cabbage leaves from the head, and place in boiling water. Boil until soft, approximately 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from water, and set aside.

Into the center of each leaf, place a small amount of the meat mixture. Fold in the sides, and roll up from the bottom.

Place a layer of sauerkraut in the bottom of a large pot. Arrange cabbage rolls in a single layer over the sauerkraut, seams down. Cover with remaining diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer for 40 minutes.

3 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

I can't even remember the last time I had cabbage rolls... but you're making me crave them! Because my hubby doesn't eat beef, I might try this with polk. Thanks so much for sharing!

#1SAHM said...

Mmmmm, I love cabbage! I think I'll try this on my DH : ) Thanks for sharing!

Brooke said...

Mmmm...I love cabbage rolls! My mom gives me some whenever she makes them because DH won't go near them. I've never had them with saurkraut though.